Great Old Ones
The Great Old Ones, or Elder Gods, are extremely powerful beings from the Far Realm who were the original creators of the gods, primordials, and creatures in the cosmos. The Great Old Ones fought the true Dawn War against the banded gods and primordials, who won the conflict by forging the Godslayer Shard and crafting the Ritual of Repulsion inscribed on the Book of Life. When the stars are right, they will return to the world to destroy it, and it’s up to the PCs to stop them!
Known Great Old Ones
- Cthulhu – Leader of the Great Old Ones during the Dawn War.
- Yig – The King of Serpents, whose tomb is in the Shadowfell near the Nameless City. Yig was “dreaming in deathless sleep,” until the PCs extracted the shadow piece of the Godslayer Shard, which was suspended magically near the ceiling of Yig’s tomb. The PCs wedged the door to escape Yig and quickly left the realm.
- Nyarlahotep – A crafty Great Old One who infiltrated enemy ranks and stole both the Godslayer Shard and the Zoënomicon during the true Dawn War. He dismantled the Godslayer Shard into its six component parts (air, earth, fire, water, shadow, and aether) and hid them throughout the world while also hiding the Book of Life in the vaults of Kadath. Nyarlahotep created the Microcosm Findings and is presumably still alive.
- Yog-Sothoth – probably a Great Old One described in the ‘Further Study’ Necronomicon section. Yog-Sothoth is described as being “the gate” and “the key and gaurdian of the gate.”
- Shub-Niggurath – a possible G.O.O. referred to in the ‘Further Study’ Necronomicon section.